Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyNarcolepsyTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
MyNarcolepsyTeam asked a question 💭
San Francisco, CA
September 10, 2022
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members shared deeply personal experiences around driving with narcolepsy, with many still holding their licenses while others chose to stop... Read more

Members shared deeply personal experiences around driving with narcolepsy, with many still holding their licenses while others chose to stop for safety reasons. Several members described practical strategies like limiting drives to 20-45 minutes, taking power naps, using safety features in cars, avoiding night driving, and planning routes carefully to stay alert. A recurring theme was knowing your own limits, balancing independence with the safety of others, and finding peace in asking for help from family and friends.

A MyNarcolepsyTeam Member

Good luck to all you brave souls who continue driving ( perhaps only for work , short distances and more cautiously and infrequently with a diagnosis of narcolepsy . More power to you . Since reading other posts and support from my narcolepsy team mates l am at peace now with not being able to drive. I am blessed and happier now that l realize it is OK to ask for rides Thanks folks 🤗

September 14, 2022
A MyNarcolepsyTeam Member

I still have mine. I barely drive and only really close to my house on good days. I know my limits.

September 10, 2022
A MyNarcolepsyTeam Member

I have not been forced to stop driving. Everywhere I drive is within 15 miles. If I have to go farther I ask for help from support group (family). They love me and understand what I am going through.

December 22, 2022
A MyNarcolepsyTeam Member

I almost crashed several times as a teenager and in college before I had my narcolepsy diagnosis. Now I know when I am safe to drive and when I am not. I also get kind of an aura of such like pixelated vision, facial tingling, and my hearing gets dampened prior to having a sleep attack so I get some time to pull over in a safe location to take a nap. I recently got fried from a coaching job because I had to be late to assistant coach one day because I was too tired to drive and had to wait for my partner to get off of work to drive me. 😣

September 15, 2022
A MyNarcolepsyTeam Member

Yeah, my state automatically takes it for many disorders that can cause loss of awareness or consciousness, including narcolepsy, sleep apnea, and epilepsy. They sometimes take it for diabetes as well if the person has a history of severe lows.

They often take it when you disclose being diagnosed, but you can get it back once your doctor signs a form saying your disorder has been well-controlled for 6 months. For epilepsy, this means being seizure-free for 6 months.

They also say that narcoleptics have to be sleep-attack free for 6 months, but that’s impossible, so that’s where the doctor’s form comes in. As long as the doctor signs the form, you might have to do a driving test, but you can get your license back.

September 14, 2022

Related Questions

View All
A MyNarcolepsyTeam Member asked a question 💭
Girard, GA

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In