Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyNarcolepsyTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyNarcolepsyTeam Member asked a question 💭

Hello all, I was diagnosed 4 days ago but have been struggling with narcolepsy type 1 for years. I know I sometimes see or hear something that isn't there at night or napping, but know that I know they are hallucinations its been freaking me out more. I know that's silly but it also doesn't help when my meds have caused more intense hallucinations. I only ever hear random sounds, some soft some loud and hallucinate family members coming in and talking to me, nothing scary until now. im not sure… read more

February 9
 · 
Reactions
MyNarcolepsyTeam

Are hallucinations from narcolepsy becoming more intense and scary after starting medication?

It's completely understandable to feel more anxious about hallucinations now that you know what they are. This awareness isn't silly at all—it's a natural response to understanding what's happening to you.

Hallucinations are Show Full Answer

Are hallucinations from narcolepsy becoming more intense and scary after starting medication?

It's completely understandable to feel more anxious about hallucinations now that you know what they are. This awareness isn't silly at all—it's a natural response to understanding what's happening to you.

Hallucinations are common with narcolepsy, affecting anywhere from 33 to 80 percent of people. They happen when parts of REM sleep (like dreaming) mix with being awake or falling asleep. The hallucinations you're experiencing—hearing sounds and seeing family members—are typical hypnagogic (when falling asleep) or hypnopompic (when waking up) hallucinations.

However, if your hallucinations have become more intense or frightening since starting medication, this is something you should discuss with your doctor right away. Some narcolepsy medications can potentially worsen certain symptoms or cause side effects that might intensify hallucinations.

Your increased panic and fear could be related to:
- Medication side effects
- Heightened awareness making you more anxious
- Changes in your sleep patterns as you adjust to treatment

Don't wait to reach out to your healthcare provider about these changes. They can evaluate whether your current medication needs adjustment or if there are strategies to help manage these experiences better.

February 9
A MyNarcolepsyTeam Member

my hallucinations i cant really see but i feel them on my body, but ive noticed the less i think/worry about them and just think absolutely nothing before bed they happen less. The meds they put me on venlafaxin *spelling error* made me get hella depressed and wanna off myself so theres that.

February 20
A MyNarcolepsyTeam Member

I started noticing my hallucinations more after my diagnosis. Noises I used to blame on the cat became worrisome etc. I think in my case it's me paying more attention so I can accurately report to my Dr and I end up fixating.

February 19
A MyNarcolepsyTeam Member

Hallucinations definitely can be scarry. I would bring this to your your doctor attention. Sometimes our medication needs adjustments.

February 14

Related Questions

View All
A MyNarcolepsyTeam Member asked a question 💭
Lansing, MI

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In